Monday, May 11, 2009

The day before

Hi all,

I just finished up my year-long internship this past Sunday and then I drove home for five hours that day. So, I have not had a lot of time to think about this trip. But, now that it is only a day away, I have started to scramble around and pack.

I have been to Europe once when I flew over to Barcelona, Spain with my father. That was in 2005 (it was a high school graduation gift). It was spectacular over there. It is definitely more of a laid back atmosphere as opposed to the bustling of a city we are probably used to. While I was there, I was able to visit the Olympic venues from the 1992 games. The sheer magnitude of the facilities and the stunning architecture impressed me the most. It has been 17 years since those games so I am anxious to see how much has changed in terms of the facility construction aspect.

The place that I am most looking forward to visit is Greece. Although we only spend a couple of days there, I think it is the ideal location to study the Olympic movement. I'm not sure if we are visiting the most recent Olympic sites in Athens but it would be compelling to compare the modern site to the ancient ones.

The one worry that I have is that, with the exception of I believe one other person, I did not take the Olympic course this past spring. I do not think it will hinder my enjoyment of the trip but I certainly don't have the breadth of knowledge that most of you do.

I can't wait. This will be the trip of a lifetime.

I'll see you all tomorrow.

David McIsaac

No comments:

Post a Comment