Saturday, May 30, 2009

The End of the Beginning

Welcome Home! (I suppose)

I know I only posted to the blog once on this entire trip but it is because I was enjoying myself way too much to pause for even a few minutes and write to people back home. This trip was the experience of a lifetime and I wish I could stop and replay every second again and again so I make sure that I don't forget any of it.

It feels kind of strange to be back in the States, in my little town, without 11 other kids within 15 feet of me at all times. It feels strange to talk to all my friends again and my family and realize that I have not spoken to most of them in over 3 weeks. But mostly, it feels strange to realize that I've grown so much in just the past 2 1/2 weeks. I owe that growth to Professors Ryan and Veley and to my classmates who took this trip with me.

I know that throughout our trip, we all thanked Prof. Ryan & Veley for the experience, and we all talked about how much fun we have had and our favorite memories. But we also grew together; we all experienced something that no one else in the world can share with us. That means something to me. That is something I don't want to forget- the feeling of being able to share this experience with 13 people I would have mostly considered just acquaintances and now consider friends, even family.

The places we got to see, the people we got to meet, the experiences we got to share with one another- from seeing the Eiffel Tower sparkling at night, the sun set behind Notre Dame, an unparalleled bonding experience on a rooftop in Athens, running the Olympic stade, eating dinner in Lausanne, and going out in LONDON- was incredible. No matter who comes on this trip in the coming years, or who else goes to visit any of these cities, they cannot have an experience that comes close to ours.

The students that went on this trip are people I hope to keep in touch with for years to come and I hope that we all keep these memories forever, and don't forget the things we experienced in Europe or how much that has changed us. Coming back to America was much harder than I thought it would be, and I am already planning my return trip to Greece.

For the final time, bon soir and kalispera to my chavs and wankers: the Original Olympic Gangsters, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment