Friday, May 22, 2009

WADA

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of fact, but of value." - Dean William R. Inge

Today in beautiful Laussane we attended a meeting with WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) which is an independent, international agencz that coordinates and monitors the global fight against doping in sport. There we met withAmandine Bousiguse (who is most likely reading this right now) who provided a detailed overview of the role that WADA plays in the Olympics.

When people think of the word "doping" most Americans refer back to America´s greatest pastime, Baseball. WADA goes beyond that scope and looks at two categories: Deterence and Prevention. Under deterence is the different levels of the code, international standards, and models of best practice. The revised copy of the code focuses on flexibility of sanctions such as eligibility as well as a mandatory eduaction program. Although no one sport is known for doping, WADA has helped athletes "play true." By having an online database to document their every move helps them coincide with the code 365 days a year no matter where they are.

The most interesting thing I learned today was that their are 30 labs all over the world that test for prohibited drugs during, before and after competition. There is even one in Lake Placid.

Moving on, Grandma Grace also known as myself, is doing good today. I enjoyed my wheelchair ride yesterday around the museum as well as not having to walk. If anyone is wondering how I hurt my ankle, I fell off a curb, yes thats right. I said it, a curb. I was looking up at the Eiffel tower and before I knew it I was on the ground.

AND LASTLY.

TODAY IS PROFESSOR RYAN'S BIRTHDAY!

On behalf of all the students on the trip, I would like to thank him for his hardwork and dedication that he put into this trip. We are all having an amazing time and could not have been here without him!

And since I do not speak French or German, Tanti aguri! (Thats Italian)

Thats all for today.

- Grandma Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment